Finland is a great place to study for international students. The country has a high-quality education system, a welcoming culture, and a relatively low cost of living. However, there are a few things you can do to make sure you have a successful experience as an international student in Finland.
Here are 10 tips for success:
- Start planning early. The application process for Finnish universities can be competitive, so it’s important to start planning early. This means researching universities, programs, and scholarships, and getting your documentation in order.
- Learn Finnish. While English is widely spoken in Finland, learning some Finnish will help you get around and communicate with locals. There are many resources available to help you learn Finnish, including online courses, apps, and classes.
- Get involved in the community. One of the best ways to make friends and feel at home in Finland is to get involved in the community. This could mean volunteering, joining a club or sports team, or simply attending cultural events.
- Be open to new experiences. Studying abroad is a great opportunity to try new things and challenge yourself. Be open to trying new foods, meeting new people, and experiencing new cultures.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are many people who are willing to help international students in Finland, including your professors, classmates, and the university’s international office. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you’re struggling with something.
- Be patient with yourself. Adjusting to a new country can be challenging, so be patient with yourself. It takes time to get used to a new culture, a new language, and a new way of life.
- Take advantage of the opportunities. Finland has a lot to offer international students, both academically and personally. Take advantage of the opportunities to learn, grow, and experience new things.
- Stay positive. Studying abroad can be a challenging but rewarding experience. Stay positive and focus on the things you’re looking forward to.
- Remember your roots. It’s important to stay connected to your home culture while you’re studying abroad. This will help you avoid homesickness and make the transition back to your home country easier.
- Enjoy the experience! Studying abroad is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Make sure you enjoy every minute of it.
Following these tips will help you have a successful and enjoyable experience as an international student in Finland.
Here are some additional tips that may help you succeed as an international student in Finland:
- Get a student ID card. A student ID card will give you discounts on public transportation, museums, and other attractions.
- Learn about Finnish culture. There are many resources available to help you learn about Finnish culture, such as books, websites, and cultural events.
- Be respectful of Finnish customs. Finland has its own unique customs and traditions. Be sure to be respectful of these customs when you’re interacting with Finns.
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes when they’re learning a new language or culture. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes and ask for help if you need it.
- Celebrate your successes. It’s important to celebrate your successes, both big and small. This will help you stay motivated and on track.
Studying abroad in Finland can be a challenging but rewarding experience. By following these tips, you can increase your chances of success and make the most of your time in Finland.